The Northwest Progressive Institute was founded on August 22nd, 2003 to raise America’s quality of life through innovative research and imaginative advocacy. We believe that America can only move forward if we work to expand our freedoms – as opposed to allowing them to contract.
NPI is a strategy center. Think think tank meets tech startup. NPI is an institution created to research progressive ideas and promote progressive values and solutions to elected officials, opinionmakers, and the American people.
We’re not your typical think tank: we don’t have a multimillion dollar budget, a grand office building, or a paid staff (although we’re working towards ultimately having those things) but we believe we can be effective even without them. We value time and people over money. We exist to organize and mobilize progressive thinkers, and give grassroots activists an outlet to make their voices heard.
What is NPI’s Mission Statement?
We will work as a forum for progressive thought, an oasis for the promotion of peace and freedom, a warning against corruption and ignorance, and a light for others.
What does NPI do?
We pursue many different projects and interests, but ultimately they are all related to our guiding mission. Some of our major objectives:
- Promoting progressive ideas and values. Right wing policies are slowly destroying the United Sates of America. The progressive movement can’t win unless we can present a compelling alternative to the destructive agenda of the right wing. Waiting for the other side to self destruct and get out of the way is foolish and ultimately not a strategy that will lead to future success. One of our major objectives is to promote progressive ideas and values that activists and candidates for office can use to present that compelling alternative we need to be effective and win.
- Building progressive media. Another one of our major objectives is building progressive media infrastructure to counter the Republican Noise Machine. Two of our biggest projects to date have been in pursuit of this goal: our widely read blog, The Advocate,, which provides daily political news and analysis, and Pacific NW Portal, a regional information gateway and media center for progressives.
- Defeating right wing strategic initiatives. Our Permanent Defense project exists to fight against right wing ballot measures (especially those that attempt to repeal funding for public services provided by the government) and advocate for true reform of our tax system so that everyone pays their fair share.
We are committed to creating, maintaining, and expanding a significant online presence where we can present progressive ideas, amplify progressive voices, and take on the right wing… and using our online presence to coordinate offline action.
Board and Staff
- Andrew Villeneuve, founder and executive director
- Patrick Stickney
- Gael Tarleton, President
- Kathleen Reynolds, Treasurer
- Ralph Gorin, Secretary
- Rob Dolin
- Robert Cruickshank
- Martin Chaney
- Rick Hegdahl