Welcome to Ad Watch, our newest special series, which will run weekly from now until election week. The purpose of this series is to attempt to catalog, or index, the many campaign ads that are going up on television (and sometimes radio) to influence elections in the Pacific Northwest. In each installment, we’ll briefly describe ads we’ve seen that are being paid for by candidates, ballot measure coalitions, political parties, or shadowy special interests masquerading as grassroots groups, and provide links so you can watch the ads for yourself.
This week in Ad Watch:
- Our Washington, a coalition of unions, Democratic donors, and the Democratic Governor’s Association (DGA), have unveiled their first anti-Rob McKenna TV spot. It’s titled Clean Up, and it is accompanied by a new website, The Real McKenna. The central theme of the ad is “Rob McKenna isn’t who he says he is.”
- The aforementioned anti-McKenna ad was launched only days after the Republican Governors Association (RGA) put up their first anti-Jay Inslee ad. Titled Time after Time, it attacks Jay Inslee for voting in favor of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA). The ad characterizes ARRA as a failure, when in reality, it saved millions of jobs.
- Inslee’s own latest ad is titled Built, and in it, the Democratic gubernatorial standard-bearer points out that in the private sector, not all firms succeed… but some startups go on to be big, successful companies like Boeing or Microsoft. Inslee has said he wants to encourage and promote innovative startups as governor, especially in the field of clean energy.
- Rob McKenna’s newest ad is titled Good Reasons and attempts to put a shine on McKenna’s record as attorney general, and to inoculate McKenna against Democrats’ “war on women” frame. It ends by saying “As governor, Rob McKenna will continue protecting Washington’s women and children. After all, he has good reasons.”
- Washington United for Marriage has unveiled its latest pro-marriage equality spot, titled Boehler. It features Robin and Steve Boehler talking about one of their daughters (who is a lesbian) and their hope that she will be able to marry the woman she loves when she’s ready.
Did we miss an add that should be on this list? Let us know in the comments.