Change Research surveyed 475 adults in Bellevue, Washington online for the Northwest Progressive Institute from August 15-19, 2022.
Change used the following sources to recruit respondents:
- targeted advertisements on Facebook and Instagram (383 respondents)
- text messages sent, via the Switchboard platform, to cell phone numbers listed on the voter file for individuals who qualified for the survey’s sample universe, based on their voter file data (92 respondents)
Regardless of which of these sources a respondent came from, they were directed to a survey hosted on SurveyMonkey’s website.
Ads placed on social media targeted all adults living in Bellevue, WA. As the survey fielded, Change Research used dynamic online sampling: adjusting ad budgets, lowering budgets for ads targeting groups that were overrepresented and raising budgets for ads targeting groups that were underrepresented, so that the final sample was roughly representative of the population across different groups. The survey was conducted in English.
Post-stratification was performed on age, gender, race/ethnicity, education, ZIP code, and 2020 presidential vote. Weighting parameters were based on the adult population of Bellevue, obtained from the census. That is, if a given age bracket or gender group represented x% of the adult population, then that same group would be weighted to x% in this survey. Presidential results were obtained from publicly available data.
The modeled margin of error* for this survey is 5.2%, which uses effective sample sizes** that adjust for the design effect of weighting.
Who took the survey?
As noted above, 475 residents participated.
- 49% of respondents identified as male
- 49% of respondents identified as female
- 2% of respondents identified as non-binary/other
- 31% of respondents are between the ages of 18-34
- 27% of respondents are between the ages of 35-49
- 23% of respondents are between the ages of 50-64
- 18% of respondents are 65 or older
- 50% of respondents identified as White / Caucasian
- 39% of respondents identified as Asian or Pacific Islander
- 6% of respondents identified as Hispanic or Latino/a
- 3% of respondents identified as Black or African American
- 0% of respondents identified as American Indian or Alaska Native
- 2% of respondents identified as Other
- 15% of respondents like in Lake Hills
- 12% of respondents live in Downtown
- 10% of respondents live in Crossroads
- 9% of respondents live in Eastgate and Factoria
- The remaining respondents live in other neighborhoods
- 7% of respondents have a high school diploma or less
- 19% of respondents have some college, but no degree
- 13% of respondents have an associate’s degree, or two-year college degree
- 33% of respondents have a bachelor’s degree, or four-year college degree
- 29% of respondents have a graduate degree