Do you have a passion for literature? Interested in promoting reading and helping fellow citizens discover great books? The Northwest Progressive Institute (NPI) — a political strategy center that works to raise everyone’s quality of life — is looking for a Literary Advocate.
You will be part of a dynamic, passionate team committed to revolutionizing grassroots politics and advancing progressive causes through insightful research and imaginative advocacy.
We are a fast-moving, nimble, and driven team of people who believe strongly in effective activism. You will be volunteering for a nonprofit where your contributions will have a real impact. This is an unpaid, part-time, remote position with flexible hours.
Role and responsibilities
Along with NPI’s senior Literary Advocate, you will review books at least once a month for NPI through our principal publication, the Cascadia Advocate, and regularly highlight opportunities for our supporters and the public to interact with authors at venues like Town Hall Seattle, the University Bookstore, or Elliott Bay Books through our blogs and social media channels.
In your reviews, you will offer your take on the book’s content, style, tone, and merit, highlighting what you liked, and/or what you didn’t like.
Your primary objective as a reviewer will be to help our readers get a sense of whether they should pick up a book and read it for themselves.
Ordinarily, you will be asked to submit a review within two to three weeks of receiving a book. Your reviews will be featured on NPI’s social media channels and in our e-newsletter, The Evergreen Connection, which is distributed by email to our supporters. Read this post to see an example of a past review. Here’s another past review we’ve published. You are an ideal candidate for this position if you enjoy reading and responding to nonfiction material focusing on politics, current events, and public affairs. Your writing skills should be strong and well developed.
Requirements and qualifications
You must be able to:
- Submit drafts for review and publication using WordPress
- Self-manage and work autonomously
- Keep an open mind and be receptive to editorial changes suggested by your fellow staff
- Check in regularly and report on the status of your tasks
- Express yourself effectively through email and mobile messaging
- Carry out verbal and written instructions in English
- Pay attention to detail and quickly internalize feedback
- Interact professionally and respectfully with NPI’s staff and board
Time Commitment and Start Date
This position requires a commitment of at least ten to twelve hours per month for a minimum of one year. You will be expected to attend regular team meetings, which will be scheduled with your input.
We ask that you be ready to begin your training and orientation no later than July 31st, 2021.
This is an unpaid, volunteer position. There will be no financial compensation.
As part of the NPI staff, you will be eligible for several cool benefits, including:
- Complimentary Champion Membership: You will receive all the benefits of an NPI membership at the highest level.
- Training: Haven’t been to a re:Power training? We will assist you in the preparation of your application and pay your registration fee if you are accepted to the next re:Power training held in Seattle. Whether you are interested in running for office, finding paid work managing a campaign, or simply becoming a more effective activist, you will love re:Power’s trainings.
- Travel: Each summer, NPI sends members of its staff to Netroots Nation, America’s largest annual gathering of progressives. You will have the opportunity to travel with the team to Netroots Nation. NPI will cover the cost of your airfare, lodging, and participation in the conference. And, following the general election in November, you’ll have the opportunity to get away for the weekend with the rest of the NPI staff in Cannon Beach, Oregon. Lodging and meals will be provided at no cost to you.
- Low-cost wireless service: If you’d like to save money on your wireless bill every month while enjoying the best possible coverage and reliability available from a U.S. wireless carrier, you can join the NPI wireless plan on a month-to-month basis, and pay only a minimal monthly line fee each billing cycle (if you bring your own device).
Note that all staff members receive an NPI email address and access to a multitude of useful tools maintained by NPI to carry out their responsibilities.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete the form below. You will be asked to enclose your resume. NPI is an equal opportunity organization. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, citizenship, or disability.