Are you passionate about bringing people together to advance progressive causes? Interested in grassroots lobbying?The Northwest Progressive Institute (NPI) — a political strategy center that works to raise everyone’s quality of life — is looking for a Legislative Action Lead based in Washington State’s Puget Sound region, preferably within a one or two hour drive of the state capital in Olympia.
You will be part of a dynamic, passionate team committed to revolutionizing grassroots politics and advancing progressive causes through insightful research and imaginative advocacy.
We are a fast-moving, nimble, and driven team of people who believe strongly in effective activism. You will be volunteering for a nonprofit where your contributions will have a real impact.
This is an unpaid, part-time, remote position with flexible hours.
Role and responsibilities
You will work with NPI’s executive director and fellow staff to advance NPI’s state-level legislative priorities in the Washington State Legislature, both when it is in session starting in January 2021 and before session begins — a period known as the interim — which will overlap with the 2020 presidential election cycle.
Examples of tasks you’ll be asked to take on include:
- Organizing meetings and telephone calls with legislators
- Helping NPI’s executive director and board select legislative priorities
- Reaching out to allied organizations to talk about legislative strategy
- Working with NPI’s researchers to analyze and interpret poll results
- Participating in meetings of coalitions that NPI is a member of, and reporting back
- Joining weekly legislative tracking calls (during session)
- Preparing a 2020 session report card and assessing how legislators could improve
- Drafting legislative action alerts for NPI supporters
At NPI, we work collaboratively to give progressive causes the support and strategic planning they deserve to move forward. As part of our team, you’ll be helping to enrich the lives of your neighbors and people all over our region.
Requirements and qualifications
You must be able to:
- Self-manage and work autonomously
- Check in regularly and report on the status of your tasks
- Sensitively handle confidential information about donors, staff, and volunteers
- Create and import data into spreadsheets and Action Network forms
- Express yourself effectively through email and mobile messaging
- Carry out verbal and written instructions in English
- Pay attention to detail and quickly internalize feedback
- Interact professionally and respectfully with staff, board, and event participants
Familiarity with ActionNetwork is desirable, but not required.
Time Commitment and Start Date
This position requires a commitment of at least ten to twelve hours per month for a minimum of one year. Most tasks involved in tracking legislation and organizing NPI’s grassroots lobbying initiatives can be done remotely, working online, at times that are convenient for you. You will be expected to attend monthly team meetings, which will be scheduled with your input.
We ask that you be ready to begin your training and orientation no later than September 15th, 2020.
This is an unpaid, volunteer position. There will be no financial compensation.
As part of the NPI staff, you will be eligible for several cool benefits, including:
- Complimentary Champion Membership: You will receive all the benefits of an NPI membership at the highest level.
- Training: Haven’t been to a re:Power training? We will assist you in the preparation of your application and pay your registration fee if you are accepted to the next re:Power training held in Seattle. Whether you are interested in running for office, finding paid work managing a campaign, or simply becoming a more effective activist, you will love re:Power’s trainings.
- Travel: Each summer, NPI sends members of its staff to Netroots Nation, America’s largest annual gathering of progressives. You will have the opportunity to travel with the team to Netroots Nation. NPI will cover the cost of your airfare, lodging, and participation in the conference. And, following the general election in November, you’ll have the opportunity to get away for the weekend with the rest of the NPI staff in Cannon Beach, Oregon. Lodging and meals will be provided at no cost to you.
- Low-cost wireless service: If you’d like to save money on your wireless bill every month while enjoying the best possible coverage and reliability available from a U.S. wireless carrier, you can join the NPI wireless plan on a month-to-month basis, and pay only a minimal monthly line fee each billing cycle (if you bring your own device).
Note that all staff members receive an NPI email address and access to a multitude of useful tools maintained by NPI to carry out their responsibilities.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete the form below. You will be asked to enclose your resume. NPI is an equal opportunity organization. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, citizenship, or disability.