Do you believe our region and country deserves a public discourse that is more honest, meaningful, and idea-based? Think you’d enjoy connecting people whose stories need to be told with audiences? Willing to be the change and lead in cultivating thoughtful advocacy journalism? The Northwest Progressive Institute (NPI) — a research and advocacy focused strategy center that works to raise everyone’s quality of life — is looking for an Guest Op-Ed Coordinator based in the Pacific Northwest (Washington/Oregon).
You will be part of a dynamic, passionate team committed to revolutionizing grassroots politics and advancing progressive causes through insightful research and imaginative advocacy.
We are a fast-moving, nimble, and driven team of people who believe strongly in effective activism. You will be volunteering for a nonprofit where your contributions will have a real impact.
This is an unpaid, part-time, remote position with flexible hours.
Role and responsibilities
You will have three primary responsibilities:
- identifying people who NPI should be inviting to contribute a guest op-ed to the Cascadia Advocate on timely topics (for example, a state legislator working on an important bill to protect our environment, or an immigrant rights activist with a story that needs to be told);
- inviting potential authors to submit guest op-eds for publication;
- following up with people who have agreed to contribute op-eds about their submissions.
Everything NPI publishes must comply with our Code of Ethics and Commenting Guidelines, and you’ll help familiarize guest contributors with our rules of the road during the submission process. You’ll also make sure that contributors know that The Cascadia Advocate is published using a Creative Commons license, and that they must be willing to release their guest submission under that license.
Requirements and qualifications
You must be able to:
- Self-manage and work autonomously
- Know your way around WordPress
- Check in regularly and report on the status of your tasks
- Express yourself effectively through email and mobile messaging
- Carry out verbal and written instructions in English
- Pay attention to detail and quickly internalize feedback
- Interact professionally and respectfully with fellow staff, board, and guest contributors
Training and orientation on NPI’s systems will be provided.
Time Commitment and Start Date
This position requires a commitment of at least eight to ten hours per month for a minimum of one year. You will be working remotely, managing your own schedule, and completing tasks at times that are convenient for you. You will be expected to attend monthly team meetings electronically via Zoom.us, which will be scheduled with your input.
We ask that you be ready to begin your training and orientation no later than July 31st, 2020.
This is an unpaid, volunteer position. There will be no financial compensation.
As part of the NPI staff, you will be eligible for several cool benefits, including:
- Complimentary Champion Membership: You will receive all the benefits of an NPI membership at the highest level, including our Framing Sense handbook, wall calendar, Washington Progressive Blogroll t-shirt, and coffee table photobook.
- Training: Haven’t been to Camp Wellstone yet? We will assist you in the preparation of your application and pay your registration fee if you are accepted to the next Camp Wellstone Seattle. Whether you are interested in running for office, finding paid work managing a campaign, or simply becoming a more effective activist, you will love Camp Wellstone. Offered annually in Seattle since 2005, it is the premier training for progressive candidates and activists.
- Travel: Each summer, NPI sends members of its staff to Netroots Nation, America’s largest annual gathering of progressives. You will have the opportunity to travel with the team to Netroots Nation. NPI will cover the cost of your airfare, lodging, and participation in the conference. And, following the general election in November, you’ll have the opportunity to get away for the weekend with the rest of the NPI staff in Cannon Beach, Oregon. Lodging and meals will be provided at no cost to you.
- Low-cost wireless service: If you’d like to save money on your wireless bill every month while enjoying the best possible coverage and reliability available from a U.S. wireless carrier, you can join the NPI wireless plan on a month-to-month basis, and pay only a minimal monthly line fee each billing cycle if you bring your own device.
Note that all staff members receive an NPI email address and access to a multitude of useful tools maintained by NPI to carry out their responsibilities.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete the form below. You will be asked to enclose your resume. NPI is an equal opportunity organization. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, citizenship, or disability.