Are you a volunteer with Indivisible or a like-minded group? Passionate about U.S. politics? Interested in following the progress of the new Biden-Harris administration as it seeks to restore our country? The Northwest Progressive Institute (NPI) — a pioneering strategy center that works to raise everyone’s quality of life — is looking for a Federal Correspondent.
You will be part of a dynamic, passionate team committed to revolutionizing grassroots politics and advancing progressive causes through insightful research and imaginative advocacy.
We are a fast-moving, nimble, and driven team of people who believe strongly in effective activism. You will be volunteering for a nonprofit where your contributions will have a real impact.
This is an unpaid, part-time, remote position with flexible hours.
Role and responsibilities
You will report on current events at the federal level for the Northwest Progressive Institute, especially votes in Congress on consequential legislation or presidential nominees.
You will be responsible for:
- Reporting on the policies championed by the Biden-Harris administration through a Northwest lens;
- Analyzing major votes in Congress in a timely fashion for NPI’s publications;
- Reaching out to our U.S. representatives and senators to get their perspective on news items;
- Assisting other NPI staff with writing open letters and preparing calls to action on federal issues;
- At election time, assisting with coverage of congressional races outside of the Pacific Northwest.
Training and orientation on usage of NPI’s systems will be provided.
To assist you in carrying out your duties as NPI’s Federal Correspondent, you will be subscribed to press releases and media advisories from members of our region’s congressional delegation and the White House.
Requirements and qualifications
You must be able to:
- Self-manage and work autonomously
- Know your way around WordPress
- Check in regularly and report on the status of your tasks
- Express yourself effectively through email and mobile messaging
- Carry out verbal and written instructions in English
- Pay attention to detail and quickly internalize feedback
- Interact professionally and respectfully with fellow staff, board, and supporters
On days when Congress takes one or more important votes, you’ll be asked to submit a post by the end of the day summarizing each vote and listing how each lawmaker from the Pacific Northwest voted.
To get an idea of which days Congress is anticipated to be in session this year, please take a look at this calendar released by House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (note which days say “VOTES”) and this U.S. Senate calendar.
Time Commitment and Start Date
This position requires a commitment of at least eight to ten hours per month for a minimum of one year. You will be working remotely, managing your own schedule, and completing tasks at times that are convenient for you. You will be expected to attend monthly team meetings electronically via Zoom.us, which will be scheduled with your input.
We ask that you be ready to begin your training and orientation no later than February 28th, 2021.
This is an unpaid, volunteer position. There will be no financial compensation.
As part of the NPI staff, you will be eligible for several cool benefits, including:
- Complimentary Champion Membership: You will receive all the benefits of an NPI membership at the highest level.
- Training: Haven’t been to a re:Power training? We will assist you in the preparation of your application and pay your registration fee if you are accepted to the next re:Power training held in Seattle. Whether you are interested in running for office, finding paid work managing a campaign, or simply becoming a more effective activist, you will love re:Power’s trainings.
- Travel: Each summer, NPI sends members of its staff to Netroots Nation, America’s largest annual gathering of progressives. You will have the opportunity to travel with the team to Netroots Nation. NPI will cover the cost of your airfare, lodging, and participation in the conference. And, following the general election in November, you’ll have the opportunity to get away for the weekend with the rest of the NPI staff in Cannon Beach, Oregon. Lodging and meals will be provided at no cost to you.
- Low-cost wireless service: If you’d like to save money on your wireless bill every month while enjoying the best possible coverage and reliability available from a U.S. wireless carrier, you can join the NPI wireless plan on a month-to-month basis, and pay only a minimal monthly line fee each billing cycle (if you bring your own device).
Note that all staff members receive an NPI email address and access to a multitude of useful tools maintained by NPI to carry out their responsibilities.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete the form below. You will be asked to enclose your resume. NPI is an equal opportunity organization. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, citizenship, or disability.