Are you passionate about access to justice and a legal system that serves all? The Northwest Progressive Institute (NPI) — a pioneering strategy center that works to raise everyone’s quality of life — is looking for a (Judicial) Electoral Analyst based in the Pacific Northwest.
You will be part of a dynamic, passionate team committed to revolutionizing grassroots politics and advancing progressive causes through insightful research and imaginative advocacy.
We are a fast-moving, nimble, and driven team of people who believe strongly in effective activism. You will be volunteering for a nonprofit where your contributions will have a real impact.
This is an unpaid, part-time, remote position with flexible hours.
Role and responsibilities
You will provide coverage of judicial races in Washington State (and also potentially Oregon and Idaho) for NPI’s publications, particularly The Cascadia Advocate. You’ll also help with NPI’s special live coverage on election nights.
You will be responsible for:
- Keeping our readers informed of developments in judicial races in the Pacific Northwest;
- Interviewing/profiling candidates who hope to join or return to the bench about their qualifications and views on access to justice;
- Creating, distributing, and collecting judicial candidate surveys;
- Attending and reporting on judicial candidate forums, judicial campaign kickoffs, and other events where candidates for judgeships and Supreme Court justice are speaking;
- Helping our readers make use of resources like VotingForJudges.org;
- At election time, providing special live coverage to our readers.
Training and orientation on usage of NPI’s systems will be provided.
To assist you in carrying out your duties as NPI’s Judicial Electoral Analyst, we will connect you to campaigns and consultants working on those races. We’ll also set up alerts for you so you can track and report on the release of relevant public opinion surveys and campaign ads.
Requirements and qualifications
You must be able to:
- Self-manage and work autonomously
- Know your way around WordPress
- Check in regularly and report on the status of your tasks
- Express yourself effectively through email and mobile messaging
- Carry out verbal and written instructions in English
- Pay attention to detail and quickly internalize feedback
- Interact professionally and respectfully with fellow staff, board, and supporters
Familiarity with social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram is a plus.
Time Commitment and Start Date
This position requires a commitment of at least eight to ten hours per month for a minimum of six months. You will be working remotely, managing your own schedule, and completing tasks at times that are convenient for you. You will be expected to attend monthly team meetings electronically via Zoom.us, which will be scheduled with your input.
We ask that you be ready to begin your training and orientation no later than July 31st, 2021.
This is an unpaid, volunteer position. There will be no financial compensation.
As part of the NPI staff, you will be eligible for several cool benefits, including:
- Complimentary Champion Membership: You will receive all the benefits of an NPI membership at the highest level.
- Training: Haven’t been to a re:Power training? We will assist you in the preparation of your application and pay your registration fee if you are accepted to the next re:Power training held in Seattle. Whether you are interested in running for office, finding paid work managing a campaign, or simply becoming a more effective activist, you will love re:Power’s trainings.
- Travel: Each summer, NPI sends members of its staff to Netroots Nation, America’s largest annual gathering of progressives. You will have the opportunity to travel with the team to Netroots Nation. NPI will cover the cost of your airfare, lodging, and participation in the conference. And, following the general election in November, you’ll have the opportunity to get away for the weekend with the rest of the NPI staff in Cannon Beach, Oregon. Lodging and meals will be provided at no cost to you.
- Low-cost wireless service: If you’d like to save money on your wireless bill every month while enjoying the best possible coverage and reliability available from a U.S. wireless carrier, you can join the NPI wireless plan on a month-to-month basis, and pay only a minimal monthly line fee each billing cycle (if you bring your own device).
Note that all staff members receive an NPI email address and access to a multitude of useful tools maintained by NPI to carry out their responsibilities.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete the form below. You will be asked to enclose your resume. NPI is an equal opportunity organization. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, citizenship, or disability.