Are you passionate about bringing people together to advance progressive causes? Interested in gaining valuable experience planning events and project management skills? The Northwest Progressive Institute (NPI) — a political strategy center that works to raise everyone’s quality of life — is looking for an enthusiastic, friendly Events Coordinator.
You will be part of a dynamic, passionate team committed to revolutionizing grassroots politics and advancing progressive causes through insightful research and imaginative advocacy.
We are a fast-moving, nimble, and driven team of people who believe strongly in effective activism. You will be volunteering for a nonprofit where your contributions will have a real impact.
This is an unpaid, part-time, remote position with flexible hours.
Role and responsibilities
You will work with NPI’s executive director and fellow staff to plan events for NPI, including NPI’s three signature seasonal events: our Spring Fundraising Gala (next scheduled for April 10th, 2021), our Summer Anniversary Picnic, FallFest, and our Winter Holiday Party. All of our 2021 events are likely to be in a virtual-only format.
Example tasks associated with planning these events include:
- researching potential venues, vendors, and contracts
- maintaining calendar of promotion opportunities
- drafting event content for our website and social media channels
- making arrangements for refreshments (food and beverage)
- reaching out to possible speakers and sponsors
- managing event database and event registration
- recruiting event volunteers and table captains
- putting together materials (like invitations, signage, nametags, and programs)
- inviting NPI supporters and elected officials to attend
- supervising event setup and takedown, if we hold an in-person event
In addition, during the autumn, we hold a special dinner exclusively for our Commonwealth Bondholders, who donate monthly to sustain our vital work.
Occasionally, NPI holds watch parties, teach-ins, and workshops at no charge for supporters. You will be responsible for helping NPI’s executive director determine what additional events should augment the organization’s signature seasonal events, and plan out those minor events.
At NPI, we plan our events with care. Stretching dollars and providing excellent experiences for our supporters is part of our ethos. It’s why we prefer to handle most aspects of our events in-house, and not through pricey caterers. We take particular pride in the quality of the food we offer at our events. You’ll be teaming up with NPI board and advisory council members to ensure this tradition is upheld.
Requirements and qualifications
You must be able to:
- Self-manage and work autonomously
- Check in regularly and report on the status of your tasks
- Sensitively handle confidential information about donors, staff, and volunteers
- Create and import data into spreadsheets
- Express yourself effectively through email and mobile messaging
- Carry out verbal and written instructions in English
- Pay attention to detail and quickly internalize feedback
- Interact professionally and respectfully with staff, board, and event participants
Familiarity with creating and updating events on Facebook is a plus. WordPress experience is desirable.
Time Commitment and Start Date
This position requires a commitment of at least ten to twelve hours per month for a minimum of one year. During the months when NPI holds its major seasonal events (August, October, December, and April), the time commitment may be closer to fifteen to eighteen hours. Most tasks involved in planning our events can be done remotely, working online, at times that are convenient for you. You will be expected to attend monthly team meetings, which will be scheduled with your input.
We ask that you be ready to begin your training and orientation no later than July 31st, 2021.
This is an unpaid, volunteer position. There will be no financial compensation.
As part of the NPI staff, you will be eligible for several cool benefits, including:
- Complimentary Champion Membership: You will receive all the benefits of an NPI membership at the highest level.
- Training: Haven’t been to a re:Power training? We will assist you in the preparation of your application and pay your registration fee if you are accepted to the next re:Power training held in Seattle. Whether you are interested in running for office, finding paid work managing a campaign, or simply becoming a more effective activist, you will love re:Power’s trainings.
- Travel: Each summer, NPI sends members of its staff to Netroots Nation, America’s largest annual gathering of progressives. You will have the opportunity to travel with the team to Netroots Nation. NPI will cover the cost of your airfare, lodging, and participation in the conference. And, following the general election in November, you’ll have the opportunity to get away for the weekend with the rest of the NPI staff in Cannon Beach, Oregon. Lodging and meals will be provided at no cost to you.
- Low-cost wireless service: If you’d like to save money on your wireless bill every month while enjoying the best possible coverage and reliability available from a U.S. wireless carrier, you can join the NPI wireless plan on a month-to-month basis, and pay only a minimal monthly line fee each billing cycle (if you bring your own device).
Note that all staff members receive an NPI email address and access to a multitude of useful tools maintained by NPI to carry out their responsibilities.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete the form below. You will be asked to enclose your resume. NPI is an equal opportunity organization. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, citizenship, or disability.